This blog post & shop widgets use affiliate links.
Click here to read the disclaimer about affiliate links and PR product.
When it comes to spending money on items in my wardrobe, handbags are the one item that I’m willing to splurge on. I don’t consider mine to be a vast collection, but it’s a healthy one that I’ve built gradually over the years. If chosen well, designer handbags have the ability to retain their value over time particularly if you show them some love and take good care of them.
That being said, handbags tend to fall under the radar when it comes to needing some TLC. They’re unassumingly durable so it’s hard to imagine that they need any sort of maintenance. Be that as it may, a little of love goes a long way, so I’m sharing with you my tips to take care of your handbags so they last.
Storing your bags
Handbags need protection from dust and direct sunlight and it can be a bit tricky to work out appropriate storage as most of us will often have several different types of bags in our collection that come in different shapes and sizes.
Top row (L – R): Gucci belt (review here), Sunglasses (these Ray Bans and these Celine frames), Chanel Classic Flap (M/L at front, Jumbo size behind), Chanel Boy Bags (both in Old Medium sizes, both purchased pre-loved)
Second row (L – R): Celine Seau Sangle Bag, Celine Cabas Tote, Celine Belt Bag
Here are my storage tips:
- Keep your bags stuffed – this is particularly important if your bag is on the larger side or less structured. It’ll ensure your bag retains its shape over the years. For the handbags that don’t have a handbag organiser inside, I will usually use the dust bags that come with each handbag and tissue paper to stuff the bag.
- Store bags sitting, rather than hanging – I strong advise against hanging your bags as you risk damaging the handles or straps, particularly when it comes to more delicate pieces.
- Make sure the hardware of each bag isn’t touching each other – you want to ensure there is a sufficient space between each bag to avoid scratching of hardware.
Personally, I keep my handbags in a small cupboard separate from the other items in my wardrobe.
While using your bag
It’s important to be mindful of how you treat your bag when in use. Here are the things to keep in mind:
- Don’t overstuff your bag – you’ll risk misshaping the bag
- Compartments, compartments, compartments! Keep cosmetics in a separate pouch. Make sure your pens are capped to keep the lining clean. Handbag organisers are fantastic if you work well with compartments. I’ve only recently jumped onto the bandwagon having bought this organiser for my Celine Seau Sangle Bag and this one for my Celine Belt Bag – completely lifechanger!
- Beware – corners! Be cautious of the corners of the bag, they tend to wear out quickly as they’re most prone to being bumped into.
And there you have it, my tips on caring for your handbags so they last. Bags are so important in pulling an outfit together, so it’s definitely worthwhile ensure they last the distance. Do you have any tips on how you take care of your handbags? I’d love to know in the comments!
Thanks again for stopping by!